Monday, June 8, 2015

back on a Smoker

After several years on bigger 4 strokes, all weighing close to or over 300lbs. I was sucked back into 2 stroke bikes.  I am a huge fan of 2 strokes and really enjoy the way these bike deliver power and handle.  When I dove back into desert racing I when with a proven 2005 YZ250.



I was able to find a killer deal on a 2005 Yamaha YZ250 with all the desert goodies you could ask for.  The bike was owned by another district 38 member who was a proven contender in the Vet class.  The build sheet goes something like this:



M&M suspension
Race Tech springs
BRP sub mount triple clamp
Scotts Stabilizer
unknown brand aluminum skid plate
FMF Fatty pipe
FMF Q Stealth Silencer
V-force 3 reed block
Excel wheels with 18" rear
Dunlop AT-81 rear tire
Dunlop Geomax MX-52 front
Pro-Taper charmichael bend bars
UFO YZ update body kit
IMS wide pegs
IMS 3+ gal tank
11oz flywheel weight

This bike was a blast to ride!!  On the tight single track there is no better choice.  The light weight 2 stroke really shines in the tight stuff and the stabilizer really made it handle well in the desert.  This was the first year of the aluminum frame and the only year this frame got the AOSS front forks.  The newer 06 and on YZ got the SSS forks which seem to be some of the best forks out there right now.  I never rode the bike is stock trim, so I couldn't tell you how good or bad these forks are from the factory.  I can tell you though M&M did a great job on the work they did on these.  These forks were nice and plush with great bottoming resistance. 



I did a handful of races on this bike and the conclusion I came to was that to make this bike work like it should you need to be on your game.  There was no sitting down and putting through the desert at high speed like I could on the XR or ATK.  The harder it rode the smoother it rode.  I think this is where the 2 strokes tire you out more.  The YZ benefited the more aggressive rider, and frustrated the slower, tired riders.  I guess this is what it feels like getting old.  The YZ felt like a handful at higher speeds over rocks and whoops where as my old XR or ATK truly felt like a cadillac and just ate up terrain effortlessly.  



I believe I got so used to larger bikes and being able to just cruise over anything and everything that the YZ felt like a mountain bike with a motor.  It was flickable, it was nimble, it was point and shoot, but those aren't major factors in long distance desert racing.  I saw this as an incredible single track or tight woods racer and I envy those that could run this 2 stroke for hours one end, like its meant to be.



I knew I could go faster and be more stable on a heavier bike over a longer period of time.  So after almost a year on the YZ250 I again opted to go back to the 4 stroke desert sleds.  I love everything about 2 strokes, but for 500-600 miles race, my skills and ability are better suited on a bigger 4 stroke.  But I do see another 2 stroke in my future for single track/trail weapon.

Next Post will be the current bike that I plan on running in the 2016 Vegas to Reno.  All these previous bikes have led to this!

No comments:

Post a Comment