Sunday, June 28, 2015

The list begins......what will I need??

In gearing up for this 500+ mile endeavor I know I am going to need a good amount of spare parts and supplies to keep me going the distance should I run into bad luck.  I am starting to compile a list of "stuff" I think I am going to need to have on hand to complete this race and to keep the bike going.  I am hoping to source many of these items used from craigslist, ebay, bike forums, etc and even possible borrow some generic parts, such as goggles and fuel cans.  This list will also include bike and gear components and upgrades such as better headlight and new boots.   

Support Gear
- 4 - 5 gallon fuel cans
- 2 extra air filters with foam outers
- 2 spare ultra heavy rear tubes
- Spare chain
- Complete set of spare wheels
- Set of tires.  Going to start testing tire combos soon.   (My tire experience on these bigger bikes is geared more for dual sport characteristics and DOT requirements.  Without having to worry about DOT, it opens up a whole new world of tire choices.)  
- Extra brake pads, front and rear
- 3 Extra spark plugs
- 1 gallon of oil
- Extra clutch lever
- Extra Grips


Bike upgrades
- looking into lighting upgrades.  Baja Designs Squadron Race light or light bars???
- Complete suspension overhaul prior to race day.
- Plan on running Bib Mousse front and Ultra Heavy tube rear.
- Engine work as required, at the very least rings and top end clean up.
- New plastics.  I have a lot of new plastics that came with the bike, including the unicorn white rear fender.  I am missing a few other pieces.  If I am not planning on winning, I might as well look good coming in last.
- Graphics.  see above comment.


Personal Gear
- Boots are looking pretty well done right now.  Will definitely need a pair prior to next summer.
- Required safety lighting
- I need to try another knee pad.  My current knee pads get uncomfortable within a couple hours of riding.  Not gonna cut it over longer times.
- Palm blister devices.  Lots out there, never tried one, and it has got to be better then tape.


I already have a good amount of spares for the bike, extra tools, and some spare gear so I hope the list doesn't get too out of control. 

If any of you out there have suggestions, please feel free to chime in.  I'm learning this as I go and don't mind the wisdom of veteran racers.


No comments:

Post a Comment